Next week’s theme (to be posted Tuesday, 1st May) will be “Lo-Tech Times”
Remember when you closed the lid on your record player for the last time and went all Walkman on us? Or that it used to take an hour to ‘warm up’ the game of green Ping Pong on that first video game? Or maybe you thought VHS was cool compared with BetaMax? We’ll take a little look back at some of the Tech that marked our youth, and compare notes, ok?
‘Life’s a Journey’ is a new weekly series of posts which indulge us in a little trip down memory lane to the heady days of childhood and all things nostalgia.
My obsession is the preservation of our family stories and memories for future generations. Our children are unlikely to ever ask us about our past until they themselves feel a sense of mortality, by which time it may well be too late, as I found to my cost.
The photographs of family times past may sit in their box, but they lack narrative and context which we are unable to provide since we was either too young to remember the occasion, or simply not there.
It is a parent’s obligation to capture for safe-keeping the memories which we make with our children each and every day as they grow and learn. Our legacy for them.
Each Tuesday we revisit a memory from some part or other of our lives, and the idea is that you join in and do the same!
There will be moments of laughter, moments of sadness, and probably some fashion fails, but that’s the fun of it.
Post an entry to your own Blog and use the Linky tool below each of the weekly themed Posts to add your family stories into the fray. If you like, just leave a comment and join in that way, but do join in.
So far in this series we have reminisced about:-
1. My earliest baby photo – 10th January 2012
2. The school portrait – 17th January 2012
3. Earliest writings, by Helen – 24th January 2012
4. Bestest Friends – 31st January 2012
5. Teenage Crushes – 7th February 2012
6. First Movie Memories – 14th February 2012
7. The Song You Snogged Your Hand To – 21st February 2012
8. Homage to Grandparents – 28th February 2012
9. Favourite Childhood Books – 6th March 2012
10. Tying the Knot (again) – 13th March 2012
11. ‘Blue’. Girl Guides, revisited – 20th March 2012
12. Cuddly Companions of Yesteryear – 27th March 2012
13. A Rope, Some Pals and Jelly on a Plate – 3rd April 2012
14. Pink NHS spectacles, 1975 – 17th April 2012
15. Regrettable hairstyles of the 1980s : The Mullet – 24th April 2012